appel plombier et assurance pour dégât d'eau

Choosing a plumber to perform work paid by your insurance

Are you dealing with water damage in your home or apartment? Whether it’s a matter of a simple leak stemming from the public water supply, a broken pipe in your bathroom or a water heater that has given up the ghost, your homeowners insurance will take care of the repair work. However, you’ll have to follow their procedures.

You should be aware that, in Quebec, homeowners insurance policies don’t include all types of water damage in their basic coverage. As a rule, basic coverage includes broken pipes, water heaters, heating and air conditioning systems and leaks originating from the public water system or from furnishings such as aquariums and waterbeds. You can also add coverage for things like backed-up sewers, a leaky roof, frozen pipes, floods and more to protect yourself from other possible sources of water damage.

But how do you go about getting a plumber to perform the work your insurance is paying for?

The procedure in the event of water damage

In the case of leaks resulting in water damage, you must first stop the leak as quickly as possible by shutting off the main water supply. Then, depending on the severity of the damage, or in the event that you’re unable to contain the leak, you need to call a plumber. (Make sure you keep all of your invoices and receipts for any emergency repairs the plumbing company performs. You’ll be able to send them to your insurance company for reimbursement once they have accepted your claim.)

Next, contact your insurance company to let them know about the damage. It’s a good idea to take plenty of photos and to prepare a list of damaged materials and furnishings.

Once your insurance company has opened your claim, they will evaluate the damage to your home and the cost of the necessary restoration work before offering you a settlement in accordance with the terms and conditions of your policy.

Choosing a plumber to perform work paid by your homeowners insurance

Restoring your property after water damage has occurred can be complicated. That’s one of the reasons it’s important to hire a qualified, experienced plumbing contractor to perform the work.

To estimate the amount of the payment for the cost of repairs, your homeowners insurance company will ask you to provide them with three estimates from different plumbing companies. Some insurers will even recommend contractors they’ve worked with in the past. In any case, the final decision is yours. You’re free to hire the contractor of your choosing to perform the post-disaster repair work.

But don’t just call whichever plumber has the lowest rates! Remember that your insurance company is paying for the repairs and will generally choose the lowest estimate. Make sure that your estimates are from professional plumbers that are members of the Corporation of Master Pipe Mechanics of Quebec (CMMTQ) licensed by the Quebec Building Authority (RBQ).

Most plumbers will charge a fee to give you an estimate for insurance purposes, but they will deduct this amount from the final bill if you end up giving them the contract.

After reviewing the estimates, your insurance company will immediately pay you the amount that they deem necessary to cover the repairs. It will then be up to you to make the appointment with the plumber you’ve chosen.

Water damage? Whether your insurance policy covers your plumbing repairs or not, contact the professionals at Plomberie Roger Chayer Inc. We’ll be happy to get back to you as soon as possible.

Recommended Posts